January 5, 2010

The Countdown Is On



Happy New Year to all! Christmas for us at "The Penthouse" was wonderful and busy. There's nothing like experiencing the magic of the holidays through the eyes and the heart of a four year old. I wonder if she knows how lucky we are.... Anyway, decorations are now put away and our digs are back to whatever 'normal' is for us and the countdown is now in full swing.

12 more sleeps for Ron and 19 for Miss O and me. It seems the closer we get, the more there is to do and the small lists just keep getting bigger. At times the reality of what we're undertaking still seems daunting and overwhelming and at other times it's just pure excitement. I think we are both feeling a little anxious these days about the myriad of things to do before we go and the unknown changes that lie ahead for us, but still we both know that this is the opportunity of a lifetime for all three of us. Packing for the boat has started and it's actually quite funny to see the things that each of us have put out to pack aside from clothes. We've never had to verbalize who would pack what, but it's quite obvious what each of our priorities are and how each of our roles will develop. The captain's pile has boat parts, cruising guides, hand held electronics and charts, gardinkles and whoplunkers (which are very important/handy gadgets of some sort), while mine has arts/crafts, kindergarten curriculum, first aid supplies and meds, a few kitchen gadgets that I just can't part with, ebooks and my ipod. No stereotyping in this family....

We had the last of our travel vaccinations last week (although Miss O still has one more set of shots - shhhh...don't tell her) That wasn't much fun and I had a small reaction from one of them, but at least it's much better than the alternative.

I have 2.5 weeks of work left and was hoping that things would be winding down for me, but it's actually busier than ever right now with some big initiatives underway and about to come to fruition. I'm just starting to work with the person who will do my job while I'm away and there's lots for her to learn and plenty of loose ends to tidy up, so there won't be much down time over the next couple of weeks. Captain Ron is busy lining up moorage, boat insurance, bottom paint, and lots of other jobs he'll need to start on as soon as he arrives in St. Martin.

On a more somber note, my granny left us on New Years eve to join my grampa Nick, Phyllis and my mom in a better place. I'll remember her kindness, craziness, eccentricities, and her bright, beautiful eyes....Rest easy, Rita.

No comments: